Elementary seasonal adjustment of economic data with JDemetra+ Course level I
25 August 2023
The course is designed to enable all participants to understand the basic principles of the X-11 filter-based and ARIMA model-based approaches to seasonal adjustment, to work with the JDemetra+ seasonal adjustment software package, which includes both approaches, and to interpret the results in economic terms.
Focusing on the X-11 seasonal adjustment approach, the course primarily covers the following topics:
- Seasonality: definition, aim of seasonal adjustment
- JDemetra+: time series software for official statistics, capabilities
- Data pre-treatment: modelling of outliers and calendar effects, regARIMA models
- X-11 approach: basic principles, automatic routines, user customisation
- Quality control: graphical tools, seasonality tests
- ARIMA model-based approach: basic principles
The course is aimed at economists and statisticians who are interested in seasonal adjustment and, in particular, in the application of JDemetra+. Prior knowledge and/or experience of time series analysis in general and seasonal adjustment in particular are welcome but are not a prerequisite for participation.
A nominating person is mandatory for the participation in our in-person courses.